[sf-lug] Fwd: Event: Stanford Law Prof. Larry Lessig, Dec 16th

alison chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:37:10 PST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Computer History Museum <event at computerhistory.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM
Subject: Event: Stanford Law Prof. Larry Lessig, Dec 16th
To: alchaiken at gmail.com

The prolific and controversial web culture of piracy, particularly
file sharing, has taken the world by storm, and for more than a
decade, we've been waging a war in the name of the 20th Century's
model of "copyright law."

The content industry has convinced the world that extremism in
copyright regulation is good for business and economic growth. But
that's false. Join Stanford Law Professor Lawrence Lessig as he
discusses the potential creative accomplishments that our society
could achieve, if only we viewed copyright and intellectual property
(IP) laws differently.

During the presentation, Professor Lessig will expound on these
concepts, as he maps out in his latest book, "Remix – Making Art and
Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy": "Our past teaches us about the
value in 'remix.' We need to relearn the lesson. The present teaches
us about the potential in a new 'hybrid economy' — one where
commercial entities leverage value from sharing economies. That future
will benefit both commerce and community. If the lawyers could get out
of the way, it could be a future we could celebrate."

Where    Computer History Museum
1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Directions

When

Tuesday, December 16, 2008
6 p.m. Members Reception - For CHM Members only
7 p.m. Program

Wine provided by The Mountain Winery

Registration

Free. Suggested donation of $10.00 at the door from non-members. To
register or for more information on the event, please visit the
Museum's website or call (650) 810-1005.

Upcoming Events - Calendar

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 5pm
CHM and PRSA Co-host: Tech Media Predicts '09

      Place: Computer History Museum

      Registration: Click here

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 1pm
Engelbart and the Dawn of Interactive Computing: SRI's Revolutionary 1968 Demo
A 40th Anniversary Celebration

      Place: Stanford University's Memorial Auditorium

      Registration: Click here

About the Computer History Museum
The Computer History Museum (CHM) in Mountain View, Calif., is a
nonprofit organization with a four-decade history. The Museum is
dedicated to the preservation and celebration of computing history,
and is home to the largest international collection of computing
artifacts in the world, encompassing computer hardware, software,
documentation, ephemera, photographs and moving images.

CHM brings computing history to life through an acclaimed speaker
series, dynamic website, onsite tours, as well as physical and online
exhibits. Current exhibits include "Charles Babbage's Difference
Engine No. 2," "Mastering the Game: A History of Computer Chess,"
"Innovation in the Valley" – a look at Silicon Valley startups – and
the unique "Visible Storage Gallery," featuring over 600 key objects
from the collection. The signature "Timeline of Computing History"
exhibit will open in late 2010.

For open hours and more information, visit www.computerhistory.org or call
(650) 810-1010.