[sf-lug] jim unsatisfied flurry

jim jim at well.com
Mon Nov 24 12:51:36 PST 2008

   the questions seem to have an order at this point:
how to get apt-* to work as expected is the first,
and others will be deferred until some progress is
made on this.
   the solution can include changing expectations,
but that's more difficult in my case than giving
up or solving the problem.
   understanding the format of lines in the
/etc/apt/sources.list file seems important, and lack
of specifics is frustrating.

   your link is the most helpful yet:
"""
As you may already know, there are two formats for a line in the
sources.list file:
  deb $base $distribution $component $component ...
  deb $base $distribution/

Note, that trailing slash is required. Yes, there is a bug in the
manpage.
"""

   i'm still not entirely satisfied:
  deb $base $distribution $component $component ...
  111 2222222222222222222 3333333333 4444444444 ...

in manpage notation this might be describe as
  (deb | deb-src) URI [COMPONENT]...
(forgive initial parens above, i can't recall how
to write a choice of required params)
where position 1 takes either deb or deb-src
position 2 takes a URI
positions 3 and following take a component name

   my guess is that anyone who reads the immediately
above and knows what's what will balk:
* are there additional possibilities for position 1
* tokens in positions 3 and beyond may specify things
other than "components" per strict definition of the
term (possibly "branches" e.g. main...).

   i hope to understand syntax exactly, but in the
meantime i will test by commenting out all lines
in /etc/apt/sources.list and then uncomment one line
at a time and execute some test command, hopefully
an apt-get variant.