[sf-lug] using apt-cache search to find flash packages

jim jim at well.com
Mon Nov 24 10:07:04 PST 2008

install attempt fails, per messages below.

i've tried several times to install the three
libs mentioned and those fail. i'd tho't the
packaging system would simply install what's
needed. that seems not the case.

asheesh recommends separating the apt failure
problem from the attempts to install packages,
which seems right, so i'll concentrate on
that, reporting in an email with a specific
subject line.

------------------------------
# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  adobe-flashplugin: Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.6.0) but 1.4.10-1ubuntu4.4
is to be installed
                     Depends: libnss3-1d but it is not installable
                     Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.20.1) but
1.18.3-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
                     Conflicts: flashplugin-nonfree
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).