[sf-lug] using apt-cache search to find flash packages

jim jim at well.com
Mon Nov 24 09:26:18 PST 2008

after using apt-get search flash by mistake, using
# apt-cache search flash
yields 92 lines, including things unrelated to
flash for videos such as flash card games, an atmel
avr programmer, a puzzle game for untangling planar
graphs, and more.
   there are several alternative flash-for-video
(Shock Wave Flash aka SWF) possibilities, including
gnash, klash (for KDE), a Ming SWF python module,
adobe4-flashplugin, as well as the expected various
libraries and
flashplugin-nonfree <---------------------------

biggest take away for me is the use of
# apt-cache search <SOMENAME>