[sf-lug] apt doc question 1

Kenneth Dombrowski kenneth at ylayali.net
Sun Nov 23 15:30:33 PST 2008

On 08-11-23 14:23 -0800, jim wrote:

> thanks, kenneth,
>    nope, although better than the tutorial. the man
> page for sources.list specifies fields as
> type
> uri
> arguments (which can be commented out)

weird, mine says nothing about arguments, on debian or ubuntu.  what it
says here, exactly, is this:

   The format for a sources.list entry using the deb and deb-src types are:

      deb uri distribution [component1] [component2] [...]

it goes on to say that distribution is typically one of: stable,
testing, or unstable (the how-to example specifies stable), and that
various components are called main, contrib, non-free, or non-us (three
of which you took to be separate "fields" originally).  It also explains
in what situations the list of components is optional.

I think you might still be looking for separate fields, rather than a
list of components?

> the arguments i find in my file and in various examples
> do not match those listed for the apt-get command.

can you be more specific, please?