[sf-lug] harold varmus, barack obama's science advisor

jim jim at well.com
Sun Nov 9 14:13:59 PST 2008

   i think i got a bit ahead of myself: i learned
of this guy from an engineer who claimed the prof,
and hence, probably obama, was good on open source.
   a guy i worked with at the US court of appeals
claimed that all code written by governmental
employees is automatically in the public domain.
i'm guessing the obama administration will clarify
a position on open source that promotes FOSS.

(from the bottom of the page of
http://www.lutherblissett.net/archive/491_en.html

"...NIH director Dr. Harold E. Varmus proposed to put all scientific
research on what is effectively an open source footing. Under Varmus's
plan, which is still being debated, researchers would skip mediation by
scientific journals and upload their results directly to the Internet,
to be freely examined by anyone. This system would strongly promote the
collaborative side of science, upsetting researchers wed to the
proprietary approach. According to The New York Times, however, many
concede an open source revolution in research is 'just a question of
when and how.'

"The conjunction of old dream and new media gives open source redoubled
force. Its popularity, and its presence in many fields of intellectual
endeavor, make it tempting to look back on the production of cultural
goods in the twentieth century as a halting march toward some grand
collaborative consummation. Of course, the attractions of this sort of
open source utopianism haven't been countered, as yet, with anything
like open source realism. Hence the theorists of open source theology,
open source politics, and open source business plans. The truth is, we
don't know how far the open source model can go. The Golden Nica awarded
to Linux reminds us it can go as far as art."