[sf-lug] fixed ip address : Network Manager

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 14:01:24 PST 2008

--- On Thu, 11/6/08, Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> I currently have a few ibex boxes over here that are set to
> static ip
> via network manager, and it works after reboot just fine.
> The only
> time I have noticed needing to touch
> /etc/network/interfaces was to
> set up some bridges for my vm's.  Also, I checked that
> box just now
> (the one I did hand edit network interfaces on) and the
> network
> manager app shows the correct interface information for
> eth0, br0, etc
> that I entered into the interfaces file.

Dennis,
I'd be gratefull for some clarification, off list perhaps since I'm guessing that the list must be getting pretty sick of this thread.
In the process of setting up a static IP, did you do it all through Network Manager and did it remember the relevant info from one boot to the next;
or did you manually edit /etc/network/interfaces in which case what part of the system does the interface configuration and how do you keep network manager from messing it up?
Any and all details of exactly what you did would be greatly appreciated because I've tried it every which way and nothing seems to be very satisfying.