[sf-lug] installing ubuntu but wanting a fixed ip address

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 13:49:38 PST 2008

--- On Thu, 11/6/08, Jesse Zbikowski <embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> "fixed ip" boxes
> use DHCP and not static network configuration, and I would
> recommend
> this approach in most circumstances.  Just configure the
> fixed IP,
> etc, on your DHCP server to match the MAC address of your
> box.
> Advantages: if your box has to be re-installed, your
> network settings
> are still there.  If you change your nameserver, etc, you
> can do this
> in one place (the DHCP server) rather than each box on your
> network.
> Disadvantages: you need a DHCP server (but you're
> probably running one
> already, right?).

..well sort of: I have (as I suspect most do) an "all in one" box that serves as a DSLModem, Gateway, Router, NAT, and DHCP server. I don't know if it can be configured to serve specific IP addresses to specific MAC addressed devices but I will certainly look into it. Such an arrangement would indeed be an elegant solution.