[sf-lug] lpadmin --> forbidden

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 14:56:44 PDT 2008

I expect this is way more than you wanted, but here it _all_ is:

alex at lildell:~$ lpinfo -v
network socket
network beh
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
file cups-pdf:/
alex at lildell:~$
alex at lildell:~$ dmesg | grep -i print
[   24.778371] parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet Series 700
alex at lildell:~$ man lpadmin
alex at lildell:~$ cd /etc/cups
alex at lildell:/etc/cups$ ls
acroread.conf   client.conf         cupsd.conf.O   mime.types    printers.conf    raw.types
classes.conf    cupsd.conf          cups-pdf.conf  pdftops.conf  printers.conf.O  snmp.conf
classes.conf.O  cupsd.conf.default  mime.convs     ppd           raw.convs        ssl
alex at lildell:/etc/cups$ cd ppd
alex at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd$ ls
OfficeJet.ppd  PDF.ppd
alex at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd$ su george
Password:
george at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd$ ls
OfficeJet.ppd  PDF.ppd
george at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd$ lpadmin -p OfficeJet -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m OfficeJet.ppd
lpadmin: Forbidden
george at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd$ su root
Password:
root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# lpadmin -p OfficeJet -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m OfficeJet.ppd
lpadmin: Forbidden
root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# man lpadmin
root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# which lpadmin
/usr/sbin/lpadmin
root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# ls -l /usr/sbin/lpadmin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21508 2008-10-15 10:30 /usr/sbin/lpadmin
root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# lpadmin
Usage:

    lpadmin [-h server] -d destination
    lpadmin [-h server] -x destination
    lpadmin [-h server] -p printer [-c add-class] [-i interface] [-m model]
                       [-r remove-class] [-v device] [-D description]
                       [-P ppd-file] [-o name=value]
                       [-u allow:user,user] [-u deny:user,user]

root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# lpadmin -p OfficeJet -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m OfficeJet.ppd
lpadmin: Forbidden
root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# file /usr/sbin/lpadmin
/usr/sbin/lpadmin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
root at lildell:/etc/cups/ppd# exit

----------------------- end of cut and paste---------------------------

This gives you a complete overview of what I was doing.
I'm the sudoer on this machine and when I'm logged on, the printer functions but not so when George is logged on. He can't install the printer using the standard Ubuntu utilities because he doesn't have root privileges.
Seems catch 22 to me.
I was driven to the command line because
giving http://localhost:631 to firefox just caused it to sit there and go nowhere which suggests that there may be a more fundamental underlying problem in the cups system.
This machine has another problem: after every boot it must be given
sudo ifup eth0
to get networking going
so my plan is to start over and reformat the drive with the new version of
ubuntu as soon as it comes out Thursday. In other words: solving this problem isn't critical but it does interest me to find out what is happening.

Thanks for taking an interest.

alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com