[sf-lug] semi-OT: HP-UX 11.x

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 26 01:06:36 PDT 2008

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ola Peters <opeters at pacbell.net>
> Subject: [sf-lug] Anyone familiar with HP 9000 running version 11?
> To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
>
> I am starting a new position and would like to have a few notes to
> take in with me on this platform.? It is running something called
> AMISYS with an Oracle database.
> If you have any suggestions, advice or notes to share, I would
> greatly appreciate it.

I'm not familiar with AMISYS, but have worked with HP-UX a lot
(including 11.x), though it's been bit of time now (about 1.6 years).

Hewlett-Packard has lots of good/excellent documentation available
on-line - including all the man pages, among other resources.
Likely most useful place to start is here:
http://docs.hp.com/

If you're doing systems administration, you may want to start with:
... I think they have (or had) a book/document titled something like
HP-UX Systems Administrators Guide
... likely this:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-4616/index.html
or similar documents ... though you'll want to pick the documentation
corresponding to the particular 11.x version one is interested in.
Also, going through the section 1M manual pages and at least glancing
at or skimming over commands one's not already familiar with may be
rather to quite useful.
If you're familiar with LVM in Linux, it's quite similar in HP-UX ...
but not identical, ... so, read/check, before presuming.  There's a
fair bit Linux LVM will do that HP-UX LVM won't do, ... and also a bit
of vice versa.  LVM is also a highly integral part of (non-ancient)
HP-UX - about the only points one wouldn't be using LVM with
(non-ancient) HP-UX is in some very limited recovery/installation modes
... ootherwise, one's going to be using LVM.

Installation, recovery, and some of the detailed systems administration
stuff tends to be what varies most from one Unix flavor to the next -
so you'll want to get familiar with those areas (take a look at HP-UX
Ignite).

HP-UX tends to be rather heavily SystemVish - if you're already
rather/quite familiar with such environment, you'll feel relatively at
home on HP-UX.

If one already has a few various *nix flavors under the belt -
especially including some non-Linux non-BSD stuff, HP-UX won't be all
that surprising - you'll already have a pretty good idea where to
expect things to be different.

Random HP-UX quirk - unlike any reasonably sane UNIX - where the
default timezone would be GMT0, HP-UX defaults to EST5EDT - my
hypothesis is a wee bit too much US government contract/purchasing
influence.

Oh, ... yeah, ... SF-LUG is a *Linux* User Group.
Might try asking somewhere that's got at least a bit more Unix, e.g.:
http://www.buug.org/
or relevant Usenet news groups (and check related FAQs and such).