[sf-lug] MSFT: $1M -> St. Anthony's

Kevin Jeffrey Smith kevinjsmith+lug at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 13:41:22 PDT 2008

Hey:

While their PCs in the lab are Windows, there is definitely a willingness by
St. Anthony's to incorporate FOSS. For example, at the recent Tenderloin
Computer Help Day, we showcased the ACCRC's Linux computers and signed
people up to possibly receive a refurb Linux computer through that center.
In addition, when repairing people's PCs (what I helped with most of the
day), if they needed an OS reinstall, we would only reinstall if we could
install Linux (due to the licensing) - for 99% of the people we helped, they
used word processor/basic web browsing - that's it. However, we did ask them
before we did anything.

Christian Einfeldt is quite involved with St. Anthony's, so he can explain
more about their attitudes towards FOSS.