[sf-lug] Has Linux outgrown Unix?

jim jim at well.com
Wed Oct 15 16:48:04 PDT 2008

   this seems to me something along the lines of
a poorly framed question or tho't.
   the essential features of the kernel remain
the same, tho' the linux kernel is much extended
beyond the late-model AT&T Unix kernel. the
design was and is fundamentally robust and
extensible.
   Likewise, the command toolkit is essentially
the same, tho' much extended. And the graphical
interface is and was X-based, tho' much improved
over time.
   that linux users can do multimedia is a
similar incremental improvement over olde
tyme unix capabilities. laser printers were
used on unix systems in the 1970s. there
were client-server systems back then (tho'
no web servers).
   the "gee whiz" factor has changed over the
last three or four decades, but largely in that
there are so many individual users managing
complete systems.
   the prof's claim brings to mind bloatware:
some systems support huge numbers of features.
still, there are people today who compile
absolutely every piece of software they run
and who run only the software they need on
very lean systems reminiscent of those of the
70s and early 80s.
   don't pay the comment no mind.