[sf-lug] OPENMOKO: ideas for our code sprint

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Tue Oct 14 15:51:35 PDT 2008

Assuming mpd is a sufficient method to play audio files, then creating
a GUI for the phone would be a pretty quick task.

Indeed, the nature of mpd's daemon may make it ideal, as one could
simply run the GUI only when they wanted to alter something.

I have a feeling the real issue with this will not be in accomplishing
it, but arguing how to accomplish it.
C, Python
GTK+, Qt, EFL

I would personally vote for EFL and C, as they will use the least
amount of resources and have the fastest start times.  EFL also allows
for faster GUI implementation, and more unique and visually pleasing
UIs that can work well with fingers.
EFL also allows people to alter the layout and appearance the GUI
without any coding or compilation.  This also is a basis for allowing
people to create "skinnable" or "themable" GUIs.

And C because it's what I'm familiar with (an obvious bias, hehe), and
because it will inherently be the most efficient use of resources and
the shortest load time.

Jeffrey