[sf-lug] py class: need math help!

jim jim at well.com
Sun Oct 5 11:14:00 PDT 2008

i read this as follows:

C center of circle

A and B opposite ends of an arc and
also of the corresponding chord

Eta, the angle ACB

D the midpoint on the arc of AB

E the midpoint of the chord AB

Theta, the value of the two angles ACD and BCD

   Therefore, triangles ACE and BCE are similar,
and triangles AED and BED are similar (both
cases are mirror images).
   it seems that ACE and AED and BCE and BED
are related in some way, but i don't know how
to express the relationship without thinking,
something i generally avoid.
   triangles DAE and DBE share the ED side,
and given the identical length of hypotenuses
DA and DB, then ED is a common sine for the
angles DAE and DBE.
   triangles ACE and BCE share the CE side,
and given identical length of hypontenuses
AC and BC (r), then CE is a common cosine
for the angles ACE and BCE.

   so what is the goal?