[sf-lug] make my thinkpad into a typewriter

Bobbie Sellers bliss at california.com
Wed Sep 24 17:43:45 PDT 2008

Matt Price wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> greetings from toronto!
>
> i have a thinkpad x31 -- a medium-powered macine by today's standards
> -- which is currently running a vanilla ubuntu.  i'm not unsatisfied
> with it but i'd like to be able to work without all the distracting
> bells and whistles of the gnome environment.  Thus far any attempts to
> load a framebuffer module kill my console, which means the console
> really isn't adequate for doing work -- can't see enough text on the
> screen.  So  i'm looking for a lightweight window manager with the
> following characteristics:
>
> - boots very fast
> - tiled or tabbed interface
> - easy way to maximize a window to fill the whole screen (so, overriding
> the tiling).
> - fast keybindings that don't conflict with emacs
>
> basically, i want to run a maximized emacs session most of the time, but
> have other apps in the background waiting in case i need them.  and i
> wouldn't mind to have some tind of statusbar or something, with say the
> battery levels and the time displayed -- so i don't have to switch to a
> terminal just to type "date" or "acpi"
>
> I will also sometimes need a wireless internet connection, so i was
> thinking i would need a systray for nm-applet -- but i see that there's
> a new cnetworkmanager applet for the command line, so maybe i'd just
> use that.  wouldn't mind the systray though.
>
> i like the looks of xmonad but don't see that there's an easy way to
> toggle a window between tiled and maximized state.  if anyone has a
> configuration for xmonad -- or any other lightweight wm -- that does
> what i'm looking for, i'd love to see it.  thanks as always,
>
> matt

	SliTaz 1.0 is the tool you need and provides a very
full featured system which can be added to as required
and uses Joe's Window Manager.  It is only 25 Megabytes
of download or if you are in SF and handy I will burn you
a copy.  See SliTaz.org for further information about
installing and even running it off the CD is faster than
most live CDs.  Beautiful twin pane file manager as well.

     later
     Bobbie Sellers

--
     bobbie sellers - (Back to Angband) Team *AMIGA* SF-LUG

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
  It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
  the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
  It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
         --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.