[sf-lug] [ job posting ] technical book editor in san francisco

jim jim at well.com
Mon Sep 8 18:54:15 PDT 2008

Editor, San Francisco, CA, $35,000+ (DOE)

No Starch Press (nostarch.com) is seeking an editor.
This is a great opportunity for a sharp and motivated
geek to join a fast-growing, independent, technical
book publisher. (We're distributed by O'Reilly Media
but we're an independent company.)

We publish quality books on Open Source, Web
development, LEGO, programming, security, hacking,
and alternative operating systems (Unix/Linux, BSD,
Mac OS). Recent best-sellers include Hacking: The
Art of Exploitation, The TCP/IP Guide, The IDA Pro
Book, The Unofficial LEGO Builder’s Guide, and
Steal This Computer Book.

You will acquire and edit manuscript from idea
through hand-over to our production staff, including:

* Managing the publishing process by liaising with
authors and our production staff
* Researching possible book topics and finding authors
* Assisting authors with development of their titles

You must be self-motivated and detail-oriented, with
a clear interest in technology. The geekier you are
the better, but you need to be able to write and edit,
too. Prior experience as an editor is not required
but is a definite plus.

Benefits include:

Competitive salary; paid holiday, vacation, and sick
time; medical, dental, vision, and long term disability
insurance; 401k; a friendly, casual work environment.

Contact:

Bill Pollock, bill at nostarch.com