[sf-lug] Tutor me in Programming?

jim jim at well.com
Sun Sep 7 09:56:58 PDT 2008

   there's another general idea you might
keep in mind: what is the state of the
data at any particular time.
   in procedural programming (scripting)
the data tends to be isolated in functions
or global to the entire program. so as the
program runs, which function is "live" and
what's the state of its data. where does
the program get its data and what should
it do to process it?
   in object oriented programming, the data
is in objects, which ordinarily should be
thought of as a data set with some
functionality, encapsulated together as a
unit. when an object is instantiated, what
is its initial state? if some external
part of the program works with the object,
does any of the data in the object change:
i.e. is the object now different. where
does each object get its data from and
should the object change state or act as
a filter?