[sf-lug] will increasing RAM increase power draw during suspend-to-RAM?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 5 06:11:42 PDT 2008

Well, doubling RAM will generally less - and potentially quite a bit
less - than double power drain when in suspend-to-RAM/"sleep" (not to
be confused with suspend-to-disk/"hibernate") mode.  *However*, power
drain and time available on battery power may not be particularly
linear.  Most notably, if, theoretically, the current draw from the
battery is precisely doubled, the available time on battery is not cut
in half, but is cut by *more* than half.  Why?  First of all, laptops
will generally cut off from battery when the battery reaches some
minimum voltage threshold.  For a given charge state of battery, the
greater the current draw, the lower the battery output voltage - so
even with the same amount of charge remaining in the battery, at higher
current draws, the laptop will shut off sooner.  Secondly, there's some
basic physics going on too.  Batteries have a certain amount of
internal resistance.  Drawing more current reduces the available
voltage, and the faster that energy is drained from the battery, the
less energy that can be extracted as electricity from the battery, as
more of the battery's energy is used to warm itself up overcoming its
own internal resistance, as opposed to producing externally usable
electrical power.

So, ... in short, doubling RAM likely less than double the current
draw from the battery, but will cut the time available running from
battery by ratio greater than the increase in the current draw.