[sf-lug] California college LUG coalition

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 5 04:27:22 PDT 2008

> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:03:33 -0700
> From: jim <jim at well.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] [Fwd: California college LUG coalition]
> To: Linux user Group <sf-lug at linuxmafia.com>

I might suggest:
o many [L]UGs have one or more lists with a relatively open posting
   policy.  You may much more effectively reach a lot of appropriate
   people by effectively using appropriate lists (note that some may not
   be suitable, e.g. some BSD UGs are rabidly anti-Linux).
o There are many additional [L]UGs, not only in San Francisco, and the
   San Francisco Bay Area, but also California in general.
o Many [L]UGs, particularly those at or near campuses, may be relevant
   and/or be able to provide referrals to relevant contacts.
o Many student/campus [L]UGs may more-or-less fade in and out of
   existence academic year to academic year, depending what students
   are/aren't around and how involved they are.
o Since many schools just started their academic year, it may take a
   bit for things to be somewhat more settled in (or started or
   restarted) on various campuses.
o finding and contacting the "right" staff, organizers, and/or students
   at applicable campuses may be highly useful.
o There may be companies and others interested in helping and/or
   sponsoring such (e.g. they may be helpful in providing some consistent
   resources, a bit of funding, key contacts into campuses, etc.)
o A few random [L]UGs that come to mind off the top of my head that may
   be useful (I may not have all the names/acronyms correct, see also
   some of the URLs provided; I'll leave it as a student/campus
   organizing exercise to find more proper references/names):
   o BALUG
   o BUUG
   o EBLUG
   o PenLUG