[sf-lug] Other locations

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Sep 1 16:44:38 PDT 2008

What would people think of us looking at other locations?

I've been looking on Yelp, and the constraints as I see are as follows:

* Hard constraint: Open during SF-LUG meetings on Mondays and Sundays
  (This is harder than you might think.)
* Has free wifi.
* Would be able to seat a bunch of people.

Soft constraint:
* Should be close to public transit
* Has better food and better seating than the Javacat.
* Can retain SF-LUG's "neighborhood" feel as compared to BALUG's grittier
downtown feel (I'm joking! (oar am I? (or am I?)))

In some ways, I"d prefer to keep it close to SF-LUG's current location,
but in some ways that location is pretty inconvenient for me and a few
other people.  We can maybe do a poll later to consider that question.
Until then, I make three suggestions for discussion's sake:

1. Brain Wash (SOMA)
* Location: 7th St & Folsom St, near Civic Center MUNI + BART
* Some of us went there recently.
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/brainwash-cafe-and-laundromat-san-francisco

2. H Cafe (Castro)
* Location: 17th St & Sanchez St (near Castro MUNI)
* http://hcafesf.com/community.html has nice-looking pictures

3. Cafe La Taza (Mission)
* Location: Mission St between 20th & 21st, close (ish?) to 24th St BART
* Delicious food
* http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-la-taza-san-francisco-2

I didn't look at places in very many neighborhoods due to my BART/MUNI
obsession.  There are many, many places that don't meet the first hard
constraint.

Of these, I prefer #1's transit accessibility.  I never actually sat down
there, though.  What do others think?

-- Asheesh.

--
All bad precedents began as justifiable measures.
 		-- Gaius Julius Caesar, quoted in "The Conspiracy of