[sf-lug] Gentoo Binary Project

Justin Ryan justizin at vongogo.org
Sat Aug 30 23:13:04 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Tyler Trafford <ttrafford at gmail.com> wrote:
> Justin Ryan wrote:
>> Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>>
>>> I would just love to also teach people about the Debian way!
>>
>> When I said it was a PITA, I didn't say I don't know how.  Ebuilds are
>> easier, for me, you can't infuse your brain.
>
> With the relatively recent version 7 of debhelper, it is ridiculously
> easy to make .debs now.
>
> (I haven't written an ebuild in about 6 years though, so maybe there are
> tools now like cow/pbuilder to make the build & test process simpler and
> more robust.)
>
> Obviously, YMMV.

I'm certainly interested in learning about this, but I'd probably just
want to plug debhelper into portage.

>From my perspective, other than deploying software which is
just-past-experimental-but-not-quite-popular, Portage is super handy,
and for my own software, I'd prefer if I could write an ebuild and
send it into some kind of buildbot-ish system so that my clients /
users can offer build platforms for distribution software.

Anyway, I would really like to see SF-LUG have what are clearly
multiple competent folks speak on Debian.  I am, myself, a huge fan of
Debian, and boy am I happy that I have apt-get on my iPhone.  I'll
refrain from using the term "crApp Store" since I am to meet with
folks about a Mac Genius position tomorrow - hoping to bring some UNIX
and Scientific software talk to the SF Theatre, though of course my
buddy who mans the 800 # in Austin agrees that asking for the iTunes
password once each to update 9 free apps is just plain ludicrous.

So, yah, apt has, from debuntu and apt-rpm, the inspiration, if not
basis, for yum, to Cydia and Fink in Apple-land, inspired a lot.  I've
always certainly admired Ian and people involved with Debian, and
hell, it was the first GNU/Linux distro in space!

That said, I think there are as many problems with apt as with
portage, and I'd prefer to hack in portage's language (python) to add
apt-y features than to unravel perl which, ten years ago, some of the
original authors told me they'd be lucky to find the exact mixture of
beer and liquor to understand. ;)

Best,

Justin Alan Ryan
Independent Interaction Architect
http://www.bitmonk.net/
* : +1-415-226-1199 x2600

"All because of a bunch of stuff that happened.."
 -Homer Simpson
"The best way to get in touch with me is PayPal.
 -Alexander Limi