[sf-lug] Gentoo Binary Project

Dennis J Harrison Jr dennisharrison at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 21:30:35 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Justin Ryan wrote:
>
>> Sure, then to get software which isn't available or up-to-date, you
>> install portage-prefix, which then installs new copies of all the stuff
>> that Ubuntu and Debian installed for you, and they fight it out with
>> light sabers.  Last time I emerge -u system in my prefix setup, which I
>> use to build one package that I don't have on Ubuntu, it took a day.
>
> That's why there's the apt-src package, which automates building new
> or customized versions of packages for the Debian world.
>
>> I've actually been thinking about using Portage to generate rpm and
>> deb packages, for creating minidistributions, and also for making it
>> simpler to deploy some things I use portage-prefix fore.
>>
>> I find ebuilds easier to write, update, modify, etc.. than I've ever
>> found .spec or the dpkg directory structure.
>
> This is a very good point - would people like me to do a teach-in about
> how to build Debian packages, how to contribute them to Debian/Ubuntu, and
> hwo to upgrade existing packages beyond what the Debian maintainer has
> done?

Most certainly ! :)

> It would really do better in a better venue than the Javacat - but we were
> discussing different venues before.
>
> I'm not going to say people shouldn't work on phillip's binary Gentoo
> project - by all means, do what you like!  It's a Free (and open source)
> World! (-:
>
> I would just love to also teach people about the Debian way!

I am not for any particular way over another (as I see them all as
woefully imperfect and in need of tons and tons of work) so to me,
everything is in a constant state of onward movement.  I sure do like
debuntu.

I also like suse and redhat and rpath

I would like to be able to build packages I either, create, or cobble
together... to work for any of the mentioned systems.  But ideally I
know we should shoot for something that can configure ebuilds, rpms
and debs.