[sf-lug] cups under Ubuntu

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Aug 26 09:55:08 PDT 2008

Rick Moen wrote:
> [Looks like accidental departure offlist into private mail.  So:]

Oops!  Yes, it was accidental.  I often forget that this list doesn't
have reply-to-list set on it.

> Quoting David Rosenstrauch (darose at darose.net):
>> Well, I think it's obvious I'm not suggesting someone go and install
>> KDE, Qt, etc. just so they can use the KDE printer util.

> Apologies if I sounded cranky about that:  I was just really short on
> time.[1]

No worries.

> And I'm pretty sure I recall that Alex isn't one, by the way.

Didn't know if he was or not.  (I'll admit that I didn't pay close
attention to the earlier emails that might have provided some additional
context.)

Anyway, my purpose was just to point out the KDE util, as I think many
people don't know about it.  I think in many people's minds "KDE" just
means "bloat".  And while I'll freely admit that it's a more
"heavy-weight" WM, I think a lot of people aren't aware of some little
niceties like this that it provides that actually help provide a very
nice, user-friendly desktop experience.

>> Have no idea what specific reliability issue you're referring to here.
>> I've been configuring printers via KDE for several years and never had
>> it "not work at all".
>
> Well, the specific context is helping someone who's trying to make
> printer configuration work but something mysterious is breaking.  In
> such a situation, it's strongly in the user's interest to use the
> simplest, least dependency-laden tools available, to reduce the number
> of variables.

Fair enough.  (And like I said, I probably ignored some of the earlier
context in the thread.)  I guess I misunderstood - thought you were
alluding to some specific experiences you had with KDE's printer config
where it was breaking.

DR