[sf-lug] cups under Ubuntu

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 17:15:41 PDT 2008

--- On Mon, 8/25/08, Lorin Scraba <lorin at si-bemol.ro> wrote:

> For your particular case , IIRC printers.conf is also
> maintained by a
> component in your window manager of choice. What happens is
> - you go to the
> web interface, make a change (printers.conf gets updated)
> and then the
> printer manager software there discovers that the
> configuration was updated
> without it's knowledge and reverts it. I used the
> "chattr +i" hammer in the
> past to break
> this. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions.

by IIRC printers.conf, do you mean /etc/cups/ printers.conf?
I don't understand the IIRC. Can you explain please?

As for it getting changed: this is NOT happening to me.
I've repeatedly examined it and have not found any changes.
But thanks for the suggestions: chattr +i is something I've done
at Tom Haddon's suggestion in another context when I had problems
(which still aren't completely solved) with networking, but
that's a subject for a  future thread.

More  in an independent posting.

thanks
alex