[sf-lug] cups under Ubuntu

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 11:55:32 PDT 2008

Although I've got things going now, while trying to re-configure printing
on a lap top that is now going to be living in a new place with a
different printer than before, I found that the http://localhost:631 interface seemed to accept all my wishes and obligingly printed a test page
BUT: non of these settings seemed to have taken effect and I had to use
the Ubuntu GUI interface.

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/10/13/enabling-cupsys-web-admin-interface/

the above link has a discussion but much of what's there is not consistent with what I experienced and none of it claims to be authoritative. Does anyone know of a reference that explains exactly what Ubuntu has done
and how come it's possible to configure cups and still not have the configurations take effect? (Yes, I did sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart)

alex
ps what I'd really like to do is learn how to do all this from the command line!