[sf-lug] all lowercase

Mark G Sobell marksobell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 14:24:54 PDT 2008

Perhaps someone in the group can suggest a solution to this problem?

I am running an updated version of 64-bit KDE Ubuntu Hardy on an AMD desktop
machine. Standard apps plus VMWare Workstation. When I boot, all is well.
After a few hours all Linux apps (Firefox, kmail, konsole, etc.) and the
virtual consoles respond to uppercase characters as though I had typed their
lowercase counterparts. My smilie faces come out as :0. Within Windows and
Ubuntu running under VMWare, caps work fine. None of the stty settings seems
to be strange. Any thoughts as to what is going on? Thanks,

           Mark