[sf-lug] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 08/28/2008

bill at wards.net bill at wards.net
Thu Aug 21 12:00:15 PDT 2008

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   |Date:    |Thursday, August 28th, 2008                          |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |meeting 7:00 - 9:00 PM, social/networking until 10 PM|
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                             |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                    |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                               |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                            |

  Alan DuBoff, Embedded Linux, turning ideas into products, and why Linux is
  tossing the embedded space on it's ear

   Alan DuBoff worked on the Kerbango Internet Radio, which was an early
   adopter of Embedded Linux. Alan will show the Kerbango radio, open it up
   and explain the components designed into it, and what it takes to turn
   ideas into real products. The Kerbango radio received a Best Innovation
   award at the 2001 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, receiving almost
   as quick of a death from the parent company who acquired it. Understand
   why this was such a controversial product for the industry. Selecting
   Linux was a much more difficult choice 9 years ago than it is today. Linux
   is really leaving the embedded space tossed on it's ear. There are lots of
   devices coming to market and being developed which run Embedded Linux.
   This is truly one of the most exciting areas of the high tech industry,
   and certainly for the Linux community as a whole. Learn some about the
   roots of Linux in the embedded space, how it has been evolving, and what
   still plagues it.

   Alan has also worked on set-top boxes, cell phones, and other embedded
   devices with Linux and other embedded systems. He has interfaced computers
   with satellite dishes, jukeboxes, touch screens, and other widgets. He has
   also worked on systems involving systems programming, graphics, systems
   programming, UI, speech recognition, IVR, and more. He is currently
   working for Sun Microsystems.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp at penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members at penlug.org
	announce at penlug.org
	sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk at lists.balug.org
	svlug at lists.svlug.org
	svevents at yahoogroups.com

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.