[sf-lug] framebuffer console hangs...

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Aug 21 01:42:56 PDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, John Magolske wrote:

> While in text mode in a framebuffer console, I'm having issues with
> the display 'hanging'. For example, while moving the text cursor in
> Vim, the cursor will sometimes freeze for 3 or 4 seconds then jump
> ahead the distance it would've moved while frozen. Or while scrolling
> text in Less, the text will freeze then jump ahead in the same manner.
> When switching between terminals in GNU Screen there can be a several
> second pause...quite annoying.

I'm thinking you're right in thinking it's a framebuffer driver issue.
Were it not late o'clock I might try helping you figure out how to avoid
vesafb and use an accelerated framebuffer driver.

The framebuffer drivers with text can be notoriously slow, pegging the CPU
just to scroll....

-- Asheesh.

--
To our sweethearts and wives.  May they never meet.
 		-- 19th century toast