[sf-lug] Tonight, Crick con't rise

jim jim at well.com
Mon Aug 18 11:00:59 PDT 2008

   i think it'll be best not to change the
hostname: it's possible that some configuration
file or another is using it.
   i don't understand the need to change the
username, either.
   there's no relation between the hostname
and the username. your host (computer) can be
named "santy clause" and as long as all of
the configuration files are properly updated,
the system will work just fine for any
username, including mikkimc.

   permissions is a matter of some username
owning a file, some groupname associated with
a file, and the association of read, write,
and execute privileges for the owner as well
as the group as well as everyone with a login
on the machine who is not the owner and is
not a member of the associated group.
   use the Places menu and click the Home
Folder choice. a new window should appear
showing your login name and "File Browser"
in the title bar. in the window you should
see a list of your filenames. in the File
Browser window click the View menu and in
the View menu click the Visible Columns...
choice. You should see a dialog box with
checkboxes. click the Group, Owner, and
Permissions checkboxes, close the dialog
box, and reinspect the File Browser window.
You should see new columns for the three
choices.
   alternately, right-click any filename and
in the right-click menu choose Properties.
you'll see a Properties dialog box. click the
Permissions tab and you'll see permissions
for the owner, the group, and everyone else.
In general, your files should be Read and
write for the owner, Read-only for the group,
and Read-only for everyone else.

   Ubuntu defaults are usually fine. as the
primary user you almost certainly have the
ability to do all system management--when
doing so the system will first present a
dialog box asking for your login.

   if you plan to change hard drives, you'll
have to reinstall ubuntu all over again on
the new hard drive (group: is there a shortcut  <----
for this?).
   be sure to make backups of your files
whether or not you change hard drives.
you can just make copies to some other
directory, or you can make copies to some
other partition, or you can make copies to
some removable media such as a CD-ROM, or
you can make copies and store them on some
internet site (your ISP may or may not
allow this).

   it seems to me common that people create
their own problems by thinking in advance of
learning. this is probably inevitable, but
try to remember the warning: "am i
anticipating something that doesn't exist?"