[sf-lug] logwatch configuration

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 23:17:48 PDT 2008

I could use some help figuring out logwatch configuration!
I'm expecting to be at the JavaCat in the am and perhaps the expertise needed will be there.
I have two networks: kleico.net and kleider.ca
On kleico.net I've had logwatch in operation for many months now and it's been functioning very well BUT on the Debian computer that is running logwatch on that network there is no /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf file! This is not a problem but it is something that I can't for the life of me understand. Its relevance has to do with the fact that I was turning to it  to see how to configure my other network.

On the second network (another home: kleider.ca) I've installed logwatch on an Ubuntu system but when I
# logwatch
the result is
/var/cache/logwatch No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/logwatch line 753.
There is a /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf file on that machine and I am worried that the problem may be the following line:
mailer="sendmail -t"
$ man sendmail
gives me the man page to exim4 so I'm assuming that sendmail is symbolically linked to exim4.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm thinking that perhaps that line should be changed to
mailer="mutt"
since I am able to send emails out to the internet using mutt under the computer in question's current configuration.
Looking forward to seeing fellow Linux enthusiasts at the JavaCat tomorrow and if any of you have suggestions, all the better.

alex

a_kleider at yahoo.com