[sf-lug] Consistency

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 30 15:02:10 PDT 2008

Quoting Paul Ward (dssstrkl at gmail.com):

> The point  is that it would be very nice if there was (a lot) more
> unity in the  way that distros, particularly ones that purport to be
> mainstream  products, like Ubuntu.

Actually, I think that's quite obviously false -- your "unity" is my my
"dumb inflexibility solely to cater to people unwilling to learn
anything new" -- but good luck with that.  (I remember the sheer
irritation value of dealing with visiting Apple "Human Interface Guidelines"
inspectors, when I worked at a cross-platform development house, back in
the day.

> Motor vehicles....

...are not general-purpose devices, in sharp contrast to computers.
Thank you for playing.  You have deployed one of the dumbest arguments
in a field notorious for them (OS-advocacy).

This is precisely the sort of reason why OS-advocacy discussions are
generally deemed noxious.  (And, if you'll please excuse me....)