[sf-lug] Anyone using Asterisk with VoIP on Linux?

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Thu Jul 10 14:49:17 PDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 14:08:05 John F. Strazzarino wrote:
> A friend is setting up a VoIP system for his office.  It is a small
> operation, he just wants to get 4 phones working.  He does have a Trandnet
> router with the IP phone plugged into it and he gets a dialtone, but that's
> it.  His Linux server has a myriad of error messages (of course, none of
> which I have captured!) which would probably explain why the setup is not
> working.
> Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of how to do this?
>
> I'm reading 'Asterisk for Dummies' like mad, so that would explain my
> knowledge level.
> Also, do all phones in a VoIP system need to match (same model and
> features) or can you just use 'any old' IP phone?
A little more on this phone matching...
You can mix analog and digital phones as long as you have the correct
interfaces and configurations. So you could have a number of inexpensive
analog phones connected via the cards or adapters I mentioned earlier. (This
is often done because the phones are already in position, connected via
cable, and familiar to the user.) And, on the same system, you could have
some IP phones and some softphones using headsets. In all, Asterisk is very
flexible. You can have phones appropriate to the work they will be doing:
customer service, shop floor, executive, and so on.

In contrast with proprietary systems like ATT, Nortel, Panasonic and others,
the telephone sets are not proprietary but standards based so you can mix
brands and models to get value and the functionality you need.

--
Mark Weisler
PGP: 0x68E462B6  http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/