[sf-lug] Year of Linux on the desktop -- in one small town

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:58:51 PDT 2008

hi

Here is a slashdot story that IMHO deserves a vote in the /. firehose.  Of
course, I wrote the story, so I am biased, but I do think that this is a
funny publicity stunt that deserves to get some press.  And it has been
covered by the San Jose Mercury News:

http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=750265

*"Linux advocates have been touting the year of Linux on the
desktop<http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/06/2119243>every
year for
several years running<http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/15/1531237>.
But now a group of GNU and Linux enthusiasts are holding a publicity stunt
to move one small town, Felton, California, to Linux on the desktop, according
to this story <http://www.mercurynews.com/centralcoast/ci_9750560> in the
San Jose Mercury News. According to the group's
website<http://www.lindependence.net/>,
the group will start holding town meetings on July 13 to convince just this
one small town of 1,051 people near Silicon
Valley<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felton%2C_California>to experiment
with conducting their daily business using only Free Open
Source Software on the desktop, for one week starting Monday, July 28, 2008,
and running through Sunday, August 3, 2008. The group is calling themselves
"Lindependence 2008", in a play of words on the US Independence Day holiday
weekend, which commences on July fourth."*

The Digg story (not written by me) is here:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Lindependence_2008_aims_to_Free_Felton_from_Microsoft