[sf-lug] MONDAY MEETING, UBUNTU 8.04 - SANE QUESTIONS

Mikki McGee mikkimc at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 14 10:57:01 PDT 2008

*Hello, all:

    I am new to the sf-lug, will be attending the first time on Monday
at 6 (God willing, the MUNI don't strike.)

    In chatting with Jim he suggested I tell you all about the issues,
and interested folk can chose to show up or kibitz.

1)    I have been using Ubuntu since June, 2006, with Ubuntu 6.06
installed onto a desktop and a laptop, both successfully dual boot, with
Windows XP.  (another person did the installation.)

2)    The Fries "Great Quality" laptop recently was converted by a
friend to single boot U 7.04 with a sane-xsane-Gimp connection, and the
Visioneer 7300-usb working well  He also did an installation of 'wine.'
A memory failure during this process restricted using the installation,
until adequate memory was re installed.  It works +/- fine, now.

3)    I do not wish to upgrade this laptop computer to U 8.04 until I am
sure I can re-install the
Sane-Insane connection, as that is the basic function intended for this
machine - copying in Libraries. ( I am using it a lot, recently, just to
get used to it.)  I would rather keep a functioning machine, than risk
it in upgrading.
*********

4)    A friend gave me an "recycled" ACER travelmate 512dx (560 mb) as
an experimental machine, and this has Ubuntu 8.04 installed
successfully, and working quite well enough.  I am using it as the
experimental machine, in fact, to protect data, etc.
*********

5)    I will be bringing both these machines, mice, power supplies, and
the Visioneer scanner to the meeting, in the hopes of learning how to do
such a complex connection myself, make the correct choices in the
functions, etc.  /This is to be attempted on the ACER./ the Fries GQ
machine will be available for seeing how it was done there.

6)    I also am interested (more long term) in becoming familiar with
the Terminal in Ubuntu.

    I am 71 years old; trained as a biologist; not very well versed in
computerese. I got into DOS back with DOS 3.3,/ and Windows cured me of
loving MicroSoft./  I would not have continued with computers at all,
but that a friend kept giving me his old computers when they were
replaced.

    I barely remember any of the DOS commands, but once I was familiar
with batchfiles, DOS online setups, and re-installing all the programs
when Windows 2.0 and 3.0 had again crashed the machine.

Bless All

Mikki
*