[sf-lug] The school earns a top score 2 years in a row

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 19:16:49 PDT 2008

hi,

This is a really remarkable accomplishment that I wanted to share with this
list.  The public middle school that this LUG is supporting with Free Open
Source Software solutions has earned really high marks on standardized
testing for the second year in a row.

Specifically, the school's scores mean that they performed in the top 10
percent of all schools in the state with a comparable grade range, including
schools serving middle and high income families.  Put another way, the
students at the school we are supporting are 85% qualified for subsidized
school lunches, because their families are poor; and yet these same students
earned the same range of grades as kids in comparable schools in Marin and
Beverly Hills and Woodside, etc.  That is nothing short of mind-blowing.

I would like to think that this LUG's work in supporting the kids with FOSS
computers played at least a small role in this phenomenal achievement.
Sure, most of the credit goes to the hard-working teachers and staff and
students of the school; but it should also feel very good to this group to
know that the work they did in helping to build the Edubuntu Lab and keep it
alive contributed to the State of California stating, in its own very
bureaucratic way, that the kids in this school received as good an education
as the very most privileged (and predominantly Caucasian) kids in the
wealthiest school districts in California.

Thanks so much for giving to these kids!
--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point