[sf-lug] Regarding the "new" (Silicon Mechanics) SF-LUG box ...

jim jim at well.com
Sat Jun 7 10:42:03 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 10:24 -0700, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008, jim wrote:
>
> >   per below, I'm up for a Monday evening get-together.
> > respond if you are, too.
>
> Yup, count me in (as stated earlier).
JS: Great! Where?

> >   also, the gizmo i've got for the supermicro 1U box
> > is Model AOC-IPMI20-E
> >   but i don't get how to use it without a console
> > server. as the box will be situated at the ServePath
> > Spear Street facility, i suppose the trick is to find
> > out if the facility has a console server and if so,
> > can we use a channel, right?
>
> Nope - the point of the AOC-IPMI20-E is that it does console over IP -
> just set the BIOS to do its output over a serial port, and have the IPMI
> card map that serial port to an IP address, and Yahoo!
JS: currently, ServePath allows us four IP addresses;
the new machine has a XEN host, with an IP address,
an SF-LUG VM with an IP address, a BALUG VM with an
IP address, and a general-purpose sandbox VM with an
IP address that's intended for testing and community
use. do we
* abandon the testing/community VM and use its IP
address for the IPMI
* abandon the XEN host's IP address, assign that to the
IPMI adapter, and access the XEN host via IPMI
* get ServePath to give us an extra IP address?
Two issues: what's possible and what's most desirable.

also, given the XEN host and three VM hosts, i'm guessing
only the IPMI can service only one host, and further
guessing that can only be the XEN host, not any of
the VMs, right?