[sf-lug] Problems with a Comcast modem; no IP address given

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 00:03:45 PDT 2008

--- On Fri, 6/6/08, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no local network for this family.  It is just one
> box hooked
> straight into the Comcast network.

Technically speaking, I don't think this is quite true.
It's probably a local network that consists of two hosts: the router
and the family computer which in most families is getting it's local
address served up (assigned) by the router's DHCP server. Alternatively
it _could_ be assigned it's own fixed address (although there'd be no
reason for your family to do so.)
I'm guessing that what you are calling a "Comcast modem" is in fact
a modem, router, dhcp server and perhaps several other functionalities
all built into one box.