[sf-lug] evolution: bug or feature?

jason stone jasonstone at gmail.com
Sat May 31 13:39:46 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:10 PM, John Lowry <johnlowry at gmail.com> wrote:
> jim wrote:
>> many thanks for the note.
>>
>>    evolution includes not only email but
>> calendaring and a task list feature along
>> with a contact list and a memo feature.
>>
> My understanding is that Evolution uses the Outlook Web Access feature
> of Exchange to sync its calendering and contact information up. I am not
> sure if that has changed and they are now using the MAPI protocol that
> Outlook uses to communicate with Exchange.

Yes, Evolution still uses the OWA function.  It is less than perfect
and so is the implementation of other features.  While I am
criticizing the work of others, I also note that I have not committed
any changes to the Evolution project.  Hats off to those that are
making a difference in the community.

Evolution is the FOSS community's attempt at an open source Outlook.
I don't care for the layout of Outlook and subsequently don't care for
Evolution either.

I hope that Exchange functionality will be fulfilled in a Mozilla
project.  Thunderbird is a much better mail client than Evolution and
Firefox is a nice browser.  I use Evo only for Exchange functionality
on Linux.  Even for that, I would rather be on my XP box.

-jasonstone