[sf-lug] Pizza and boxes this Saturday

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu May 29 13:57:14 PDT 2008

hi,

There will be a pizza party this weekend at the school from 1 pm to 4 pm.
We are going to be triaging boxes in preparation for moving the Edubuntu Lab
from a thin client lab to a hybrid lab, if possible, for the next school
year.  Thin clients have been okay for the past 4 years, but we have run
into limitations with our server.  Specifically, the server has not been
able to deliver video and audio over the network, such as YouTube.  A couple
of teachers have complained about this situation, and so we are going to do
what we can to deliver a more feature-rich Free Software experience for the
students for next year.  We are hoping to get together 22 boxes with at
least 512 MB of RAM each, and processors with at least 1.2 Ghz processors.
Boxes that don't fit this bill we will be designating as email-only boxes
for students and the elderly who just want to be able to do those basic
functions, with maybe a little basic txt-creation.  We are giving up on
sub-512 MB boxes for students, because they just can't do all the multimedia
that students want to do, and because the students have come to think of
Linux boxes as crappy boxes that no one really wants.

We believe that the school will spring for two pizzas, but we have not
gotten confirmation on that yet, since the State is requiring that all
schools cut their budget by 10% for next year.  So it is possible that we
might have to throw our own pizza party.  But we can still have fun getting
together a great FOSS experience for these kids for next year.

If you have any old monitors that you would like to get rid of, we also do
need monitors for our computers-to-kids giveaway program.

For those of you who have not yet been to the school, it is conveniently
located at Geary and Scott Streets in San Francisco.  There is plenty of
free gated off-street parking.  The actual address is 1430 Scott Street, but
please don't call the school, because they really don't understand what is
going on in the GNU Linux lab.  They use it, and they appreciate it, and the
use of the lab is actually climbing.  But they just show up and use the
lab.  If you have any questions, please call me at 415-351-1300.

We are going to have a number of these get-togethers over the summer as we
polish the lab for next year's students.  We are not going to try to do all
of this in just one meeting.

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point