[sf-lug] [Fwd: The BYTE]

jim jim at well.com
Wed May 28 11:51:54 PDT 2008

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Computer History Museum <CHMfeedback at my-websites.org>
To: Jim * <jim at well.com>
Subject: The BYTE
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:27:42 -0700

If you have trouble reading this email, click here.

CHM
The BYTE
A Publication for Donors to the
Computer History Museum
My CHM|My Profile
                        Print Print
Homepage | Donate Now | Directions | About Us

Dear Jim,

Highlights from the Collection
Highlights from the Collection
Babbage Engine Unveiled

On Saturday, May 10th, the
Museum was proud to unveil our
latest exhibition, The Babbage
Engine.  A crowd of 1800, including
some dressed in Victorian attire
were able to see the Engine in full
operation.  Other highlights from
the day included two showings of a
movie on Ada Lovelace and
approximately 550 people attending
an afternoon lecture by Doron Swade.

Charles Babbage is regarded as the
first computer pioneer. His designs
for vast mechanical calculating
engines rank as one of the startling
achievements of the 19th century.
For over 150 years, his
designs remained an historical
curiosity.  But his Difference
Engine No. 2, dating from 1849 has
now been built.

The Museum is pleased to present
this extraordinary object, rich in
history, in full operation.  This
five-ton Engine is one of only two
Charles Babbage's computing engines
ever built, consisting of 8,000
parts of bronze, cast iron and steel
and measuring 11 feet long and 7
feet high. It was designed to
calculate and print mathematical
tables. Babbage's early vision was
that the 'unerring certainty' of
machinery would eliminate the risk
of human error in the production of
printed mathematical tables.

The Babbage Exhibit is made possible
through the generosity of the
following donors: Nathan Myhrvold,
Andreas Bechtolsheim, Bell Family
Trust, Donna Dubinsky & Len Shustek,
Judy Estrin, Fry's Electronics -
Kathryn Kolder, Dorrit & F. Grant
Saviers, Marva & John Warnock, and
special thanks to Science Museum,
London.

Photo Caption: Charles Babbage's
Difference Engine No. 2 .
                            more...
Click Here to let us know as your interests change and we'll deliver the
news you care about most!
                Conversation with Jim Morgan  Click Here

Stories
from the
Collection: Oral Histories of Pioneers

Stories
from the
Collection: Oral Histories of Pioneers
Oral
History
Program

Did you
know
that
some of
the
Computer
History
Museum's
best
stories
can be
found in
our oral
history
collection? CHM conducts video and audio oral history interviews and workshops in an effort to preserve stories of key contributors to the information age.

Interviewees are selected based on importance of their contributions to the field, the quality of any previous oral histories in which they have participated and their relationship to current CHM programs such as exhibitions. Interviewers are either subject matter experts in a particular domain, often from the industry itself, or professional historians.

We have
completed more than 236 interviews with 111 transcripts now available online! You can read some of the transcripts from these interviews or workshops by visiting the Oral History section of our website.

Photo
Caption:
Final
preparations underway for the Scientific Data Systems (SDS) group oral history featuring (left to right): Robert Beck, Arthur Rock, Max Palevsky, Jack Mitchell, Emil Borgers, Don Cooper and Pete England.

more...

Special
Announcement: Expanded Museum Hours

Special
Announcement: Expanded Museum Hours
Museum
Now Open
on
Thursdays!

The
Computer
History
Museum
is now
open
five
days a
week.
The
Museum's
new
hours
are 12
PM -
4 PM
Wednesday through Friday and Sunday, and 11 AM - 5 PM on Saturday. Click here for more information regarding our new hours and tours.

Photo
Caption:
Computer
History
Museum
Main
Entrance.

more...

Museum in the News: Spring 2008
Good News Abounds!

The Computer History Museum has been featured in a number of articles on
various online newsites including The New York Times and the BBC. While
most of these articles have centered on the April arrival of the Babbage
Engine (68 sites as of May 1, 2008), the New York Times article entitled
"Trying to Add a Pulse to a World of Machines," published on March 12,
2008, focused on the evolution of the Museum.

Babbage-related articles appeared in the Christian Science Monitor, San
Jose Mercury News and CNET. In addition, NBC 11, ABC 7 and Kron
4 recorded video of the Babbage Engine in action.

Photo Caption: Len Shustek, CHM Chairman of the Board, alongside the
first Google server. Photo by Fred Mertz for The New York Times.
                                                                more...
My CHM
Click Here and log into your own version of CHM's website
      Contact Us

    Stay Connected
Gail Easton, Associate
Development Director,
Foundation Relations
email:
geaston at computerhistory.org
1401 N Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View,
California, 94043
United States
phone: (650) 810-1883

    Have you moved?
  Need to update your
  contact information?

      Click Here
To change your interests, to read more about the news on this e-Bulletin
          or to update your contact information, visit My CHM.

  If you no longer wish to receive this type of email from us, please
                              Click Here.

   You asked for shorter communications - 1 page, if possible, and we
                               responded.

                                Papilia