[sf-lug] Fwd: Ubuntu Live 2008 canceled!?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 22 14:00:12 PDT 2008

I wrote:

> http://en.oreilly.com/ubuntu2008/ says nothing about cancellation, and
> the e-commerce links still accept new attendee registrations.

It now carries the cancellation notice.

A news item at
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ubuntu-Live-Cancelled,5446.html
includes:

  Boasting 750 visitors last year, the Ubuntu Live attendance list was a
  little more modest than that of OSCON (its Web site invites us to join
  2,500 open source developers, hackers, experts, IT managers, and users).
  Ubuntu Live is co-presented by Canonical and O'Reilly Conferences, so it
  could be that they just decided to capitalise on visitors by
  amalgamating the two.

  Reasons for the cancellation of this year's conference have yet to be
  clarified by Ubuntu (other than saying it will better suit those wishing
  to attend OSCON). However, we do know that many of the speakers will be
  incorporated into OSCON, although the whos and wheres of which speakers
  to be included have yet to be announced.

  We received a statement from Canonical saying as much, and their Webi site
  encouraged attendees to keep an eye on things at www.ubuntu.com for
  updates on Ubuntu at the OSCON event.

  "We have decided to replace this year's Ubuntu Live conference - which
  was scheduled for July 21-22 in Portland, OR - with added content at the
  OSCON event, scheduled July 21-25 in the same location, as well as with
  several regional events in North America and Europe (more to come
  later). We believe this new structure will better suit people travelling
  to Oregon for OSCON, anyway, and also those who could not see us there at
  that time. All registered attendees, speakers and press have been
  contacted by O'Reilly with details of refunds or equivalent offers."