[sf-lug] sf-lug meets monday evening from 6 PM to 8 PM

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue May 20 00:30:30 PDT 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> You bet.  I'll see you all there.

Well, I had a great time at today's SF-LUG meeting.  It was great to see
some of the particularly smashing people I've seen a lot before, all at
one time, as well as meeting the new(-to-me) people, who were without
exception also great.

I thought I'd reply to my own message to chat about the problems some of
you saw with my ThinkPad.  /sbin/badblocks tells me the hard drive has bad
sectors, which may explain the hangs - Lenovo is shipping me out a
replacement disk really soon (probably Tuesday or Wednesday it'll get
here).  I'm not going to power it on in the immediate future except to run
GNU ddrescue to pull the data off.

And as for that ugly hinge breaking, that'll be covered under warranty
too; I'm going to check with a local IBM in-warranty-service company
(there are at least three within about three blocks of my office...)
tomorrow to see if they have the right parts and can just fix it while I
wait, as promised by the friendly Lenovo dude in North Carolina I spoke on
the phone with.

It is quite a disappointment to me to have ugly issues with my normally
dearly-loved Thinkpad, and even worse to have them multiply in front of
you people!  But I'm looking forward to them going away quickly thanks to
the joy of IBM^WLenovo EZSERV.

-- Asheesh.

--
Darth Vader!  Only you would be so bold!
 		-- Princess Leia Organa