[sf-lug] "OLPC ready to scrap Linux??"

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Apr 28 10:29:09 PDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Rick Moen wrote:

> Unfortunately, leadership of the One Laptop per Child, Inc. non-profit
> is not up for election, but rather is entirely controlled by Nicholas
> Negroponte, Mary Lou Jepsen, Walter Bender, Jim Gettys, Seymour Papert,
> and Alan Kay.  (Er, hang on:  Three days ago, Walter Bender resigned in
> disgust after butting heads too many times with Negroponte.  I think
> it's clear where the logjam is.)
>
> I have no doubt it's enormously frustrating to large numbers of
> volunteers to see this effort teetering towards auto-darwination through
> leadership failure -- after overcoming so many _external_ obstacles.

Ivan Kristić, who resigned a few weeks back, wrote a message on his blog
indicating that despite all the visible internal struggles, OLPC the
project has a lot of success to be proud of.  Furthermore, the community
(including Walter, as you can read about at
http://www.xconomy.com/2008/04/24/one-laptop-per-child-foundation-no-longer-a-disruptive-force-bender-fears-qa-on-his-plans-for-sugar-interface/
) will be continuing to work on the important parts of the project even if
laptop.org does not.

The post, at http://radian.org/notebook/this-too-shall-pass , was a very
good read.

-- Asheesh.

--
All right, you degenerates!  I want this place evacuated in 20 seconds!