[sf-lug] Ubuntu vs. Mandriva

Paul Ward dssstrkl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 18:49:12 PDT 2008

I don't think that user base has anything to do with how good or easy
to use a piece of software is, otherwise Windows would be the best OS
of all time. One thing to remember about the whole Netscape vs IE
thing was that both companies were super-proprietary about everything,
including custom HTML tags. Its because if the whole browser war 1
that W3C standards were implemented in the first place. The natural
consequence of which we can see now with IE still behaving as if doing
weird non-standard stuff will help it stomp down on its rivals, when
it now just pisses everbody off, from web devs to admins to users.

I'm only pointing this out because the failure of linux to take over
the desktop has nothing to do with its technical merits or how
polished it is. It has to do with the fact that it just isn't the
default, so that's a killer for most people. Don't forget that Apple
is the scrappy upstart to most people, a company that older and far
more advanced than Microsoft.

If buying a Mac is a new and risky endevour for people, does anyone
think that these same buyers, even if they knew that there was another
option, would take it? Linux has been easier to set up and use than
Windows since at least 2001, but that's just not enough.

Paul Ward
Sent from my iPhone