[sf-lug] Ubuntu release ("back on-list" sub thread)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 27 17:12:13 PDT 2008

Quoting Ernest De Leon (edeleonjr at gmail.com):

> I was not arguing the technical standards and such about the list behavior,
> I was arguing from the end-user stand point.

OK, here's the end-user standpoint:

1.  The "Reply" command reaches just the sender.
2.  "Reply-to-All" reaches the sender plus his/her other addresses.

You should always use Reply-to-All when responding to ongoing mailing
list threads.  Use Reply _only_ when you have some compelling reason to
depart from the mailing list into private mail (and then please do
explain your sudden insistence on having a private discussion with
someone who thought he/she was participating in a public one).

Individual MUAs (Mail User Agents, i.e., user e-mail programs) will
differ in the names they give to those two reply modes.

That about covers it.

Sorry, I will not take seriously all of that long-debunked rubbish about
torturing the Reply-To: header away from its legitimate purpose to
attempt to make it produce "the desired behavior most of the time".
(Translation:  "I'm too lazy to remember that Reply-to-All exists, and
want Reply to magically do the right thing, no matter what I want it to
do.")

Moreover, I will not permit that sort of incompetent system
administration practice on my server's mailing lists.  Period.

Once again:  We're done.