[sf-lug] Ubuntu vs. Mandriva

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 17:07:31 PDT 2008

Well netscape never really died did it?  It persisted in some forms until
AOL recently dropped the main project it like a hot potato.  Parts of it
still exist in some form or another within the expanded mozilla code-base.
I guess killed-off isn't the proper term, perhaps something more along the
lines of 'relegated to insignificance" is better.  Either way, the Slackware
example proves my point exactly.  You want to have users spread across many
different products rather than amassed into a single or a select few.  This
promoted competition and drives innovation - the exact opposite of Microsoft
products.

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Ernest De Leon (edeleonjr at gmail.com):
>
> > It is because licensing has no direct correlation with user adoption.
>
> So, you're assuming that having relatively few users "kills off" a
> distribution?
>
> Boy are the Slackware guys going to be astonished!  You should tell
> them.  They'll probably fall over.

Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com

voiced by Benjamin Franklin