[sf-lug] Ubuntu release

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 26 14:31:58 PDT 2008

Alex departed from the ongoing thread into private mail.  I've
accordingly moved discussion back on-list.[1]

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> You mention Xubuntu: that is the one aimed at machines with less
> muscle, is it not? Someone at the JavaCat monday told me that the
> regular release is actually smaller than the 'x' version. Could this be
> true?  I sort of assumed that xubuntu simply had less gui
> functionality and thus was slimmer.

"Ubuntu" is the shared base[2] plus metapackage "ubuntu-desktop" (GNOME).
"Kubuntu" is the shared base plus metapackage "kubuntu-desktop" (KDE)
"Xubuntu" is the shared base plus metapackage "xubuntu-desktop" (Xfce4).

Xfce4 is a lightweight desktop environment for X11 that bundles the
xfwm4 window manager and a graphical file manager named Thunar.  As
usual, if you want to compare window managers and "desktop
environments", your first stop should be http://xwinman.org/ .  Please
have a look there, for more information.

I find Xfwm4 a fairly reasonable window manager, and that the "desktop
environment" aspects of the thing don't get in my way too badly (i.e.,
not starting an excessive number of RAM-and-CPU-wasting processes that I
didn't request and don't care about).  Otherwise, I'd have disabled all
of that junk and gone directly to my _true_ favourite, Window Maker.

You can and should read about Window Maker on http://xwinman.org/ , too,
of course.

Yes, I've heard people assert that the GNOME metapackage provided by
Ubuntu discs wastes less RAM than the Xfce4 metapackage provided by
Xubuntu discs does, but I don't believe it.  Also, I've seen what kind
of mess GNOME makes of one's process table, the rubbish all over the
screen, and the pathetically bad design inherent in things like GConf,
and would prefer to have no part of them.