[sf-lug] NTLDR is missing

RBV GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 16:03:44 PDT 2008

Rudis:

I've had similar problems and although they're disconcerting, even
slightly scary, it normally turns out to be relatively easy to fix -- IF
you have your W2K or XP CD-ROM.

I haven't done this in a while so the steps may not be 100% accurate.
Nevertheless, the basic procedure is:

ONE -
Boot off your XP CD, then run Recovery Console.  At the Recovery Console
prompt, select Repair with...  As I recall, you can then list the
available commands.  You're looking for "Fix MBR"...

TWO -
Run Fix MBR to restore Windows bootability. Fix MBR will, however,
temporarily wreck your dual-boot capability.  Not to worry.

THREE -
Login to Windows, then download and burn a bootable ISO of SuperGrub:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

FOUR -
Boot off the SuperGrub CD-ROM and run the steps required to detect
bootable partitions and repair the broken dual-boot capability.

I mentioned I'm writing this from memory.  I'm able to do because about a
year ago, shortly after configuring my dual-boot W2K / Dapper system, I
had to perform these steps more than a few times.  The good news is that
it always worked...

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley