[sf-lug] OpenSolaris on VirtualBox

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:28:59 PDT 2008

Yea, I remember hearing someone say that, but they did have it running in
virtual box at the show.  They said that the version of VB in the Ubuntu
repo was old and wouldn't run OS, but the newest tarball-d version would.  I
tried that, no dice.  Then I installed VB on both XP and Vista, no dice.  I
haven't tried VMware as I don't have it installed on my desktop, only on my
server.  I'm going to try to intall the new free BSD desktop version
next...see if I have any better luck.  I have to admit that with MySQL and
VirtualBox, SUN has made some significant purchases and contributions to the
open-source world.  I'm interested to see how all this pans out in the end.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 09:13 -0700, Ernest De Leon wrote:
> > Has anyone been able to install OpenSolaris in VirtualBox...
>
> Someone was saying at LugRadio Live that this isn't possible... Not sure
> who or why, but I think it's a known issue.
>
> > the installation from within the live environment seems to fail
> > instantly and the error it give is something to the effect that the
> > new user I am supposed to be creating is not in the /etc/passwd
> > list....the classic chicken and egg problem...just wondering if
> > someone else had success.  I set the vm parameters to 8GB fixed HDD, 1
> > GB RAM and 128 MB video RAM.
> >
> > --
> > Ernest de Leon
> > http://www.smbtechadvice.com
> >
> > "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - A common 18th Century
> > sentiment voiced by Benjamin Franklin
> >
> > "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
> > government." - Edward Abbey
> >
> > "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
> > nothing." - Edmund Burke, English statesman and political philosopher
> > (1729-1797)

Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com