[sf-lug] olpc: green machine -aka XO

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 14 22:41:57 PDT 2008

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> Very interesting. So  by implication, the interfaces are set up by
> completely different mechanisms in other distros?

Sure.  My apologies for not elaborating, earlier.  The most common
different setup is that of Red Hat and similar, where there's an
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory, containing text files with
names like "ifcfg-eth0".  Those files then get parsed by the sysvinit
startup scripts (/etc/init.d/networking or whatever), which derive from
them the values for the /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route commands that get
run during startup.

Here's a reference about their nature and syntax:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap9sec90.html

> Another thing I found puzzling is that the XO machine has no /dev/hda

Might be /dev/sda .